Car owners know that seat covers are not just for aesthetic or decoration purposes. It also offers a lot of benefits, such as protection and it helps your car seat material to last for a long time. If you are wondering about the best material to use for car seat covers, you came to the right place. At LCR Services, we will be sharing with you a guide for seat cover materials. If you want to know more information, make sure to continue reading below to find out.
When choosing the ideal car seat covers, you must first consider how you use your car. Who uses it? Who uses the backseat? What comes in contact with the car seat? Where do you usually go? How frequently do you use it? What climate does your area have? When you get the answers to these questions, it will at least give you an idea of which seat cover will fit your needs.
What are the different materials used for seat covers?
- Velour – This material is the most common choice for seat covers. It resembles the look of the original upholsteries in modern cars. If you are searching for a material that will be useful in protecting your seats without looking like you have seat covers in them, velour is worth checking out. It is soft and comfortable but keep in mind that it is neither waterproof nor durable. It is economical and can be useful in protecting your car seats.
- Jacquard – This material is the same as the velour. It is not durable or waterproof; it is rougher and has a heavy-duty center panel. It is also sturdier, compared to velour.
- Canvas – The most durable material that can be used for seat covers. It is a cotton and polyester blend. It is commonly used for agricultural vehicles, trades vehicles, and trucks. It is waterproof and hardy and can withstand rough use. Since it has a rough texture, it does not provide comfort and it can be a bit rough on sensitive skin, so it is not used for family cars. It is the material recommended for car owners who prefer the highest form of protection for their car seats. It is usually treated for water and stain resistance.
- Duck weave – It is a strong cotton and linen blend material. It has the same benefits that Canvas offers. It is a natural fiber that allows good air circulation and it can be machine washed.
- Neoprene – A great material to use for seat covers. It is waterproof and durable and is also soft, comfortable, gentle on the skin, and is easy to spot clean. It is flexible, which makes it easy to install in car seats. It is also a popular material for car owners who have an active lifestyle. It is a synthetic rubber material popularly used in high-quality wetsuits, which consists of 98% rubber; it is a common choice among divers, swimmers, and surfers.
- Neosupreme – It is a blend of polyester and neoprene. It is more affordable than neoprene. It is water-resistant but not fully waterproof.
- Mesh – It is a breathable material highly popular in areas with a hot climate. Thanks to its design, mesh allows air to circulate in the car seats which promotes good circulation and allows you to cool down and have less sweat, especially during the warm months. It is durable and provides tough protection on car seats.
- Sheepskin – It is a luxurious material. It is durable and quite comfortable to use as a seat cover. It provides warmth during winter and coolness in summer. It has a thick density which provides the passengers and driver to have a cushioned and comfortable ride. It is expensive especially if you want custom versions and it will require dry cleaning when it needs to be cleaned.
- Acrylic Fur – It is a synthetic material that resembles and feels like real sheepskin, although it is not as expensive or as smooth as genuine sheepskin. It also does not regulate temperature nor is it as durable. It is economical; it is a recommended material for those who have a tight budget for seat covers. It is commonly used on the back and skirting of front sets of sheepskins.
- Ballistic nylon – It is a rugged material. It is water-resistant and can withstand rough use.
- Denim – A high-end seat cover material. Since denim is commonly used for jeans, it can withstand rough use and it is relatively comfortable. It is manufactured with a foam backing which makes them soft with a smooth finish.
- Tweed – It is a wool and cotton blend material. It is soft, durable, and flexible. It is water-resistant and usually comes in a herringbone twill pattern.
- Leather – A natural material that is breathable and luxurious. It has a soft texture that continues to soften in the long run. It is easy to clean and quite popular among taxi drivers. It is waterproof so it can withstand spilled drinks, food crumbs, etc. It can be easily wiped off and it will look like new again. Car owners who have young children can use the leather-look material for their car seats. However, you must keep in mind that it can get warm in summertime and cold during wintertime.
- Leatherette – It is a synthetic material, it is textured and treated vinyl that looks like leather. It is easy to clean and durable against wear and tear. It is resistant to fading and cracking.
- Pet seat covers – This seat cover is recommended for car owners who have pets. It is used to protect your car seats from moisture, sharp claws, and shedding fur.
- Polyester – A wear-resistant and rugged material that is durable enough to withstand scratches. It is water-resistant and machine-washable and easy to clean.
- PVC – A waterproof material usually mixed with polyester. It serves as a barrier to prevent any messes to leak through the car seats.
- Suede – It is a synthetic polyester material that is durable, water, and stain-resistant. It has short fibers which give flexibility and softness.
- Tactical seat covers – It is made from durable materials and comes with compartments that can fit the different supplies that you need to bring for your trip. It is available in canvas or ballistic nylon.
- Canvas – A polyester cotton blend that is soft and durable. It is strong and machine-washable. It is commonly treated for water and stain resistance.
- Ballistic nylon – A rugged material, it is resistant to water, stains, and it is sturdy. It has a smooth and shiny texture.
- Universal seat covers – Quite popular among those with a limited budget. It is easy to use. It is usually available in canvas and towel material. Canvas seat covers are soft and durable while, towel seat covers are soft and machine-washable, so it is easy to clean.
A comparison guide for seat covers materials
The cotton blends
Canvas, duck weave, and tweed. Canvas is a combination of cotton and polyester. Duck weave is a cotton and linen blend. Tweed is a wool and cotton blend. They are soft and durable, stain-resistant, and easy to clean because they are machine-washable.
Leather and leatherette
Durable and has a soft texture. Genuine leather will soften with time, while leatherette does not fade and crack, and it is scratch-resistant. When it needs cleaning you just wipe it down and pat it dry. Neoprene and neosupreme are synthetic materials that have moisture protection. Both are soft to touch and look alike. Neoprene is made of synthetic rubber while neosupreme is a combination of neoprene and polyester thus making it an affordable option than the former.
Always remember, when choosing a seat cover, you must consider your lifestyle and driving conditions. You must also consider the weather conditions, if you live in an area with a warm climate, leather seats may not be advisable for you. You must go for mesh seat covers as they can remove moisture and keep you dry and cooler as it allows better air circulation. If you use sheepskin, it can be perfect for the cold and warm months. If you need protection from water exposure you can go for neoprene or neosupreme. If you need a breathable material you can go for mesh, suede, or sheepskin. If you prefer natural fibers, you can opt for duck weave or tweed.
If you need car seat covers you can trust LCR Services. We offer high-volume cut and sew services. If you have questions regarding our services you can message us through this contact form. You can check our shop by clicking this link. If you want to know more about the services that we offer please check out this link here. We are a minority-owned company that offers high-volume cut and sew products. If you want to avail of our services, please contact us. You can call us at 602 200 4277 or send an email at [email protected]rsvcs.com. We allow our clients to customize their orders according to their specifications. Contact us today and allow us to help you with your high-volume cut and sew products’ needs!